This post was originally published at www.greenphonebooth.com where I contribute as the Mindful Echo. It’s a great blog for those of you interested in environmental issues of all sorts. Check it out!
IT’S ALMOST MY BIRTHDAY! You guys, I really, REALLY love my birthday. Like, a lot. Having a birthday at the beginning of December is great because it’s already the time of year when the air is rich with holiday spirit, people’s houses are filled with decorations, and everyone is up for eating some delicious treats. I’m big-time into Christmas so it’s fun for me to think about my birthday as kicking off the holiday season. Growing up, my birthday weekend was always when we put up the Christmas tree and started to plan for the rest of the month. It. Was. Great.
This year I’m turning 30. It’s kind of a big deal. I’m still bouncing around a few ideas for how best to celebrate the occasion, but in the meantime, I thought it would be appropriate to give a list of 30 ways we can all save the planet. Because birthdays should be used for good, right?
- Opt out of junk mail and flyers
- Recycle, Recycle, Recycle
- Cold water laundry
- Only print when necessary
- Use both sides of a piece of paper
- Shower shorter
- Shop locally
- Switch to electronic billing
- Take your canvas bags to the supermarket
- Save a flush: if it’s pee, let it be!
- Save another flush: pee in the shower
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room
- Turn off your car instead of idling
- Buy used
- Donate your old clothes/items
- Drink tap water (filter if necessary)
- Clean naturally and chemical-free
- Wear your slippers
- Properly insulate your house
- Unplug electronics that are seldom in use
- Cloth napkins
- Take the stairs
- Shop mindfully
- Fix leaky taps
- Plant local trees and plants
- Be heat conscious
- Stay informed and spread the word
- Be hopeful!
I spend a lot of time dwelling on the fact that we are in a bad way when it comes to our environment. It really stresses me out. This birthday is the beginning of a new chapter for me. It’s a new decade of my life and I want to approach it with hope for my future and the future of our planet. If we continue to stay mindful of our earth’s issues, with some hard work, we can make a difference and change things for the better.