I’ve been meaning to post more about all the delicious food that arrives each week in my Taproot CSA, and also more about all the fun new recipes I’ve been forced to invent to ensure that I’m taking advantage of all the ingredients – even those with which I was previously unfamiliar (I’m looking at you, kohlrabi).
As chance would have it, today’s Taproot newsletter informed share-holders that they’re hosting a recipe contest through their Facebook page. Participants need to use items from their share boxes (with bonus points when multiple times are used) and post the meals to FB.
Well, I’m not sure I’ve mentioned this before, but I can be hella competitive – even when the stakes are low, as they are in this case. Still, a win is a win and it’s just the added incentive I needed to start posting more CSA recipes.
Of the above pictured glorious selection, I selected the following ingredients:
Sweet Corn Kohlrabi Salad with Cilantro Mayo
1. Shuck and boil corn for five minutes.
2. Peel the kohlrabi with a sharp knife then, using a cheese grater, grate into bowl.
3. Mince and toss in the red pepper, green onion, and jalapeno.
4. Remove the corn from the boiling water and allow to cool before removing from the cob.
5. Meanwhile, dice cilantro and mix with a few spoonfuls of mayonnaise.
6. Toss all the ingredients together. For added zip, add the juice of one half of a fresh lemon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
It’s such a fresh tasting salad. The bright flavours are a great start to any meal.