Don’t think I’m the autumn grinch or anything, but when did Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Latte become the most anticipated moment of fall? I mean, I get that people love it but is it really *that* big of a deal? Maybe it’s because pumpkin isn’t my most favourite flavour, but I think I’m missing something.
In any case, I do totally get that certain flavours and scents evoke memories and feelings representative of moments or states of being. A wiff of Love’s Baby Soft and I’m back at a grade 8 dance. A sniff of roast beef and I’m at my Nanny’s table, fighting over a serving of her Newfie salt pork.
For me, this time of year isn’t about pumpkins, but it is definitely about some of the complementary spices and flavours to the infamous (and, let’s face it, WEIRDLY orange) drink.
And so, in no particular order, here’s my list:
1. Chai tea. A really spicy blend with plenty of ginger, vanilla, and cardamom. Brewed with soy for me please!
2. Apple cider or better yet: apple cider with a drizzle of caramel syrup. Caramel apples, anyone?
3. Cappuccino topped with a sprinkle of nutmeg. Mmm foam.
4. Cinnamon hot chocolate. Warm and fragrant. Marshmallow optional.
5. Hot coffee with a shot of Frangelico. Nothing says warm and toasty like caffeine and hazelnut. AmIright?